How Replibyte works
RepliByte is built to seed a development database with production data. Replibyte helps you to:
- Create a development dump from production
- Subset your production dump into a more reasonable size.
- Hide sensitive data via customizable Transformers.
- Make your development dump easily accessible from any remote and local databases.
How creating a Replibyte dump works
Here is an example of what happens while replicating a PostgreSQL database.
- RepliByte connects to the PostgreSQL Source database and makes a full SQL dump of it.
- RepliByte receives the SQL dump, parse it, and generates random/fake information in real-time.
- RepliByte streams and uploads the modified SQL dumps in real-time on AWS S3.
- RepliByte keeps track of the uploaded SQL dumps by writing it into an index file.
How loading a Replibyte dump works
Once at least a replica from the source PostgreSQL database is available in the S3 bucket, RepliByte can use and inject it into the destination PostgreSQL database.
- RepliByte connects to the S3 bucket and reads the index file to retrieve the latest SQL to download.
- RepliByte downloads the SQL dump in a stream bytes.
- RepliByte restores the SQL dump in the destination PostgreSQL database in real-time.